The heart is one of the most important organs in the human body. It’s needed for pumping blood to the rest of the body. Therefore, an unhealthy heart usually translates to an unhealthy person. It’s very important for men of all ages to visit the hospital frequently for heart check-ups and monitoring. There are numerous diseases that can be avoided by simply taking care of one’s heart. Diseases such as diabetes, heart attacks, strokes and even prostate cancer can be detected early enough and effectively treated.
The Benefits of Medical Heart Check-ups
You’ll definitely benefit more with heart check-ups. Ensure that you have your Ehic card because some of these procedures are usually performed free while others at reduced cost for card holders. In case it has expired, you can always have your Ehic Renewal done online free of charge. Here are some of the tests that will be conducted during the check-up:
• Blood Pressure- This is a great opportunity of having your blood pressure checked. It’s recommended to have this test done once in two years if you’re younger than 40 years. For older men, it will depend on numerous other factors with the most important ones being lifestyle and family history.
• Electrocardiogram (ECG) – This is a modern testing method in which electrons are used in order to detect any abnormalities in the heart. Contrary to popular perception, the process is painless although you may be required to hydrate and rest for a while after each session. The ECG test is conducted once in five years but this largely depends on the doctor’s recommendations.
• Obesity Tests- Obesity is a very problematic condition particularly in the developed world. Statistics reveal that more than 45% of adult males in the West are obese. Maintaining the correct weight is imperative for anyone who wants to enjoy great health. Always ensure that your BMI is correct. You’ll learn more about this from the doctor conducting the tests.
• Blood Tests- Apart from checking the blood pressure, doctors will also conduct other comprehensive blood tests. These normally include: Blood triglycerides and cholesterol levels. Men with high levels in these tests are usually at a higher risk of suffering from common heart diseases. Those who are 45 and above are advised to go for these blood tests after five years. They’re at a much higher risk of contracting these diseases than their younger counterparts.
Tips for Caring for Your Heart
There are several tips that you can implement which will go a long way in caring for your heart. These are:
• Eat a Healthy balanced Diet- A well balanced diet that is low in cholesterol and saturated fat is the best. Instead of snacking on fried fatty foods, opt for vegetables and fresh fruits. Lean meats, whole grains and nuts also reduce the risk of heart diseases drastically.
• Increase Physical Activity- Cardiovascular exercises such as swimming, jogging, walking, yoga and aerobics will make the heart healthier. In addition to this, sign up at a local gym for muscle building exercises which you can perform once or twice per week.